Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance too slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

wf

Programmer
Feb 1, 2001
US
I'm using a recordset DTC and a grid DTC. My recordset's source of data is a SQL Statement not a Database Object. The problem is that when opening the page it is extremely slow. It gave me a connection time out. But when I'm running the same query from SQL Plus it runs very fast.

Any help please?

MMmmmmmm, the number of returned records is important (of course). In my application i present the user a browse with x records (rows) and a PgUp/PgDn button. This is done buy using a client side cursor:

rs.CursorLocation = 3
rs.PageSize = 25
rs.CacheSize = 25

This works perfectly oke with small databases. But this technique was dramatically slow when i connected to a LARGE orderdatabase. So for large databases i dont use the client-side cursor. I do a SELECT TOP 25 in the SQL (ultra FAST) and present the result to the user.

br
Gerard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back