Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

performance question

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzhang

Programmer
Jun 7, 2001
US
Hi,

I am writing a cfm page, which calls four stored procedures to get info from Informix Database. My question is: do I get fast response/performance boost if I combine/integrate the four into one stored procedure, which return all info the page required.

Thanks.

Xiaoming

Hey xzhang,

I don't have any data to back this up but I think that you will find it is faster to combine them. If you think about it, if you call these stored procs 4 times in the CF code, each instance of your call either through <cfquery> or <cfstoredproc> has to be compiled and each one has to make a call to the odbc driver and wait for the results. If you combine this into one, there is less code to compile (CF compiles scripts on the fly) and there is less overhead as there is only one call to the underlying odbc.

There may be other issues involved but I'd be very surprised if 4 stored procs doing the same work ran as fast as a single one.

Hope this helps,
GJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back