Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance Question for all of you Guru's :-) (please help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wumagic

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2002
US
I am setting up a small home network to get hands on experience with Cisco routers, I have read all the cisco academy books and I am ready to dive in :) Which router would suit me best? I am on a Cable Internet Connection and currently running 2 PC's, I will be adding a RS 6000 Server this week...

I am about to purchase either a:

Cisco 2505 router with (2) synchronous serial ports, a console port, and an aux port,with a 8 port 10base-t hub built in. 4mb ram and 4mb flash.....

or

A Cisco 2501 router with(2)synchronous serial ports, a console port, and an aux port, and a AUI based ethernet port. 4mb ram and 4mb flash

Thanks! Appreciate you taking the time to read this and give me your input on my situation :)

Take Care!

Don't know if you've gotten an answer to this yet...

What's your connection on the LAN side of your cable modem? Ethernet? If so, you'll need a router with 2 ethernet ports (like a 2514), then a hub or switch behind it (assuming that you want web access for several devices). Of course, you could also set up a server as a proxy for some additional experience...

check this link for the ports on the 2500's:

hope this helps,
Z

No actually I havent really gotten a answer Yes i need web access for 3 devices for now, I have ethernet on the lan side of the cable connection with a pix firewall in the front of the lan... I was told to get a 2514 would that be my best bet or are there other options?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back