Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance Problem from SSAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebbo1986

Programmer
Feb 12, 2008
DE
Hallo,
I'm using SQL Server 2008 and Excel 2002 the Add-in for SQL Server Analysis Service.
I want to import a lot of data via a structured report and then use this data in the same excel file with VLOOKUP.
And there are a lot of VLOOKUPs and it seems to calculated after every cell that is imported.
I think it would help to switch the automatical calculation off. But then the add-in isn't working any more.
What can I do?

Thanks for every help.
Martin

Perhaps look at what the end result of the VLOOKUPS are. Can many these not be pre calculated so you have a net measure available from the Cube?

You have the full scope of MDX and the ability to bring in other data sources into the cube via the DSV.

A

Oh sorry I forgot to tell: I only have access via network to a specific cube and so I cannot influence MDXs, can I? Because I have no access to SQL Server itsself.
And there is not much that can be precalculated. I need all these figures in my excel sheet.

And sorry I don't know what DSV means, but would be very interested do know it.

But thanks for trying to help me. Don't give up on me.

If you don't have access to the SSAS DB & the tools then my answer is no use to you and this probably isn't the place where you should be looking.

Looks like you are stuck with trying to sort out an excel solution.

DSV = Data Source View

My solutions was now separate data import and using the data. The link between is done with an vba macro. So I import the data, take it and copy it to the sheet where the caculation is done.

But another solution could have been a stored procedure in the SQL server to pre-select the data on the server and then execute this stored procedure via vba macro and also have all needed data at once then.

So your solution does not involve [SQL Server Analysis Service (OLAP)] then?

As I said. I have no direct access to the server. I can only try to get the maximum out of the excel add-in.
But you are of course right. So I posted in the wrong forum. Should not happen again. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back