Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance over time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provogeek

MIS
Sep 4, 2002
US
In the past couple of years, and reloads of my OS I have noticed that over time, the system gets slower and slower and slower (compared to the speed when I first installed the OS and configured the devices and needed applications).

I am trying to clean up my file system and have recently found fslint which did allow me to find quite a few things to clean up in my file system. But the computer still tends to be slow.

I have been reading about the /TMP directory and find mine has grown to over 2Gb. File never clear out of this directory, and from what I have read, they are supposed to expire, but mine never do. So I assume my distro does not set this. In my searches I find conflicting information. People saying never to touch this directory, other saying it should be cleared out on every boot (or shut down).

Whats the real deal? and would clearing this directory out help with the speed degradation thats builds up on my system over time? If it would help, where would I set that up? or is something I do manually?

OS = SLED 10 SP2
PC = Lenovo T60p (Intel Core2 Duo, 4GB ram, 100GB SATA HDD)

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt SPOOOOON!!!!! [hippy]
Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple

IMHO: /TMP is just as the name says, TEMPORARY file store...

in other words, cleaning it out should not be detrimental to the operation of the OS...

but to be on the safe side of things, you could back up the system (Image or copy the drive), delete the stuff there and check things out...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

The /tmp directory is 'supposed' to only store temporary, dispensable files. It's really down to what software is installed and where it is installed, but you'll most likely have no problems cleaning it out.

Most distributions use a partition type that gets cleaned out when the machine is rebooted. I doubt it would make any noticeable difference in speed, but it can't hurt to try.

"We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area" - Major Mike Shearer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back