Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

win286

MIS
Jun 10, 2002
US
Installed a new server and now things that took 8-12 seconds to run from the server share are now taking 60-80 seconds to run. Doesn't matter if I run 1 or 3 workstations at the same time, it doesn't affect the timing. Everything is running on the workstation (no server install) just a shared drive. The files are a mix of sizes from less than a meg to 234MB as the largest. The only updated driver I found was for the video. Searched Googled and tried all the patches & registry entries I could find mostly about smb2, caching and nic settings. Disabled security, auditing, monitoring. Nothing worked so far. (I can't search tek-tips, I get no results even for things I copy and pasted from a thread).

I don't have anything installed on the server yet (I uninstalled the one app I did install). Only roles installed are ADDS, DNS, File&Print services.

Ran the monitoring tools, network has spikes but isn't pegged (8% avg); disk access is nil (92-100% idle) as everything is running from cache (1.2Gb app/data total), server transfer is 700K/s avg for the app access (file transfer runs 71Mb avg w/ 5 files totaling 2.1GB); CPU 4% avg. 23% max @ 74% max freq.

The old server was a HP 933MHz PIII with 786MB RAM running Server 2003 SBS 32bit. The new server is a supermicro quad core Xeon with 8GB RAM running Server 2008 Std 64bit. The 15 workstations are all XP & 2000 Pro and running fast ethernet (100Mb). All connected to a 10/100 switch. (I can't install the new Gb switch until I fix this issue). Things still run faster on the old PIII.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance.
DMS in LA, CA

Silly question but what speed is the nic on the new server connecting at? if it's set to auto negotiate then there may be the issue, older switches sometimes have issues with the autonegotiation on newer nics and unless you specifically tell the server to connect at 100mb it may jump between 10\100. You should also change the switch port to stick with 100mb as well tho.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Go along with Simon as the NIC setting as a most likely cause. Need to revert to SMB 1.0 on the server the second, third SMB signing issues as you have Win 2000 in the picture, SMB hits hard. Any particular file types affected or is it any file type?
What NIC (manufacturer) are you using? Do you have an Intel NIC in the server,if not could you swap one in? On the present NIC, have you deleted the NIC, restarted server, reinstalled the driver. If managed switch, any unusual number of errors showing up on the server port?

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I have had this issue as well with nic speed. Old 100mb switches require that the nic be locked to 100/full.

Thanks,
Andrew

[medal] Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination pays off right now!

Hi All,

Double checked everything and it's looking ok (I know I'm missing something). I narrowed the issue down a little. Copying to the server from a workstation is ok (40-70Mb/sec) but copying from the server share to the workstation runs slow (.4-1Mb/sec). The server is showing 1-2% network traffic.

Thanks,
DMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back