Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

onressy

Programmer
Mar 7, 2006
CA
Greeting fols, i have tracked down, thru stress testing, this piece of code that is giving performance issues, I was wondering what suggestion can be given to make it more robust, thanks!

Code:
Set objProdRS = objConn.Execute(strSQL)

' 2 May 2004, Moving objProdRS into another data structure so as to 
' not have 2 record sets open at the same time.  (getting production performance issues)
Dim arrProduct()
Dim strGetProductDetailsCode
strGetProductDetailsCode = ""
ReDim arrProduct(intProductCount*2)
intProductCount = 0
Do Until objProdRS.EOF
	arrProduct(intProductCount) = objProdRS("ProductID")
	arrProduct(intProductCount + 1) = objProdRS("ProductName")
	strGetProductDetailsCode = strGetProductDetailsCode & "case """ & arrProduct(intProductCount) & """:" & vbNewLine
	strGetProductDetailsCode = strGetProductDetailsCode & "	strResult = """ & Replace(arrProduct(intProductCount + 1),"""","'") & "<~>" & objProdRS("MaxGuest") & """; break;"		
	intProductCount = intProductCount + 2
	objProdRS.moveNext
Loop
objProdRS.Close
Set objProdRS = Nothing

Something that has been pointed out before is to use GetRows which will cut down on being connected directly to your database but will still maintain your data for you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."
- Winston Churchill

And GetRows was 7-11 times faster than using the recordset back when I benchmarked those two.

And concatenating together a long string in a loop is never pretty in VBScript, as it handles memory management poorly during concatenation.

That was benchmarked also. Concatenation that is. I'll see if I can find the threads. they are always good reading no matter how many times I've read them

____________ signature below ______________
General FAQ faq333-2924
5 steps to asking a question faq333-3811

thread333-939632 <-- do it yourself with Tarwn's helping hand
thread333-460972
thread333-925852 <-- download the beast

____________ signature below ______________
General FAQ faq333-2924
5 steps to asking a question faq333-3811

Or perhaps the longest benchmarking thread we had yet: thread333-941032

I don't know whats more sad, that we spent that many threads benching scripts or that the scripts were just to implement a VBScript version of ProperCase :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back