Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance Issues with Web Enabling SSRS Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrimej

Programmer
Dec 22, 2004
US
We have been using SSRS for almost a year now.

Up until now, all of our reports have been internal to our network users. We are now looking at publishing a few of these reports to the internet and I was
looking for some opinions, advice, warnings... on doing this.

Most of our concerns are based on what it would take to bring down our webserver if x amount of simultaneous users accessed the same report and these reports contained interactive sorts and large joins.

Once the dataset is returned to SSRS from the underlying database and a user does an interactive sort on a column heading, is this another round trip to the underlying database or does it work from within the dataset returned?

Does anyone have any stories of SSRS bringing down a site. We have not set up a data replication/data warehouse server but would be doing this prior to publishing any reports on the internet.

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

I don't have any stories, but my thought is the best way to do this is cache your reports on the server so they only update every once in a while or when something specific changes. That way, it will lessen performance issues with multiple people hitting the same reports.

Of course, if you're using real time reports, this won't work.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back