Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance issue w/access on network 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stotzc001

Technical User
Mar 27, 2003
US
I have an access database that is located on a network drive that is accessed by 2-3 users at a time. When compressed the database is only 9mb but can grow to 40-50mb in a session. When I run the database on the local hard drive it runs fairly fast, but doggs down on the network w/multiple users. Is there any performance tweaks I can do to speed up the database?????

Today we have pcs of truly stunning power. The speed of their cpus is awe-inspiring and this is coupled with huge amounts of memory working at mind-boggling speed with caches the size of a small European country of a few years ago. As a result you can write code of gargantuan complexity and inefficiency and it will run in the twinkling of an eye.

Until you put it on a network.

There are many factors that affect Access/Jet performance. I have earned large amounts of money tuning databases. It takes a lot of experience and investigation.

I have recently seen a reference on Tek-tips which outlines about 20 things you need to look at. I'll try and find that. Other wise, you'll need to search the web, particularly the Microsoft site.

In the meantime, you should have a look at why the database grows. It looks as though you must be doing a lot of deletions. Consider whether this is necessary. Deletions leave unused space. Jet always inserts at the end of the database so your deletions are just dead weight that must be fetched only to be discarded. Obviously the situation is corrected when you compact, but maybe you can avoid that bloat in the first place.

Hi!

Here are a couple of links (with more than 20 tips though):
Microsoft Access Performance FA
Making Access Faster - 168 Tips to Speed Up Your Apps!

Also - the Name Autocorrect option in Tools | Options - General tab (mentioned in the two links above too), turn that off. Here's a Tek-Tips thread dealing with amongst other that thread702-206410.

Roy-Vidar

Roy,

This is actually the second post you have helped me with today. Thanks to BMPMike and Roy for the help. Enjoy the stars.

Chuck

have you used MS Access data performance analyzer?

do you have lots of temp recordset being run every each time you load a form?

Have you tried simplifying your forms? like tab pages can sometimes slow the whole system....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back