Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

performance impact while adding new drives to array

Status
Not open for further replies.

uthorns

MIS
Aug 19, 2002
US
I've heard that there is a performance impact on a server while new drives are being added to an array. Can anyone give me some idea of how big an impact this is? I guess it depends on priority but are there any general ideas? At lowest priority will it take longer but not impact too much, at highest is it a much faster build but a useless server? Just trying to get a general idea. Thanks.

It's a file server, about 40 users, mainly used for autocad files. Just wondering if people will be able to get any work done on Monday because I don't it will finish the array over the weekend.

Depends. How big are the drives/array what kind of controller do you have? What kind of drives are they? What kind of ops are the users doing?

Is this rebuilding a failed drive or adding a new one to extend?

I have a server for instance that can take 3+ hours to rebuild a 36G drive if it has been swapped out. It's set to low and has a 641 controller with 128MB BBWC.
Server only has 512Mb RAm and a 3Gb proc.

It will impact the performance but I don't think that it would be too bad as it's afile server though I know some autocad files can get big.

It's a new drive, I'm extending the 4 drive 400gb array with a U320 300gb scsi on a HP Smart Array 642 controller. I actually have 3 300gb drives but thought I might just do one per weekend as I didn't want to have the extend running all week. The server has dual Xeon 3ghz with 4gb ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back