Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance bench marks

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXO

MIS
Jul 31, 2003
CA
Does any one know where I can find info on expected performance of a server and application with databases?

Such as how many databases and client accesses should you put on one server? etc. given # of processors, speed, memory, disk info etc.

example
I use MS-2k with MSSQL-2k on 1 IBM xSeries 235 server with 1x 2,4Ghz processor, 1Gg memory, 36-GB Ultra320 15k rpm disks.

Thanks
CXO

This is a very open ended question. Every application, database and server are different. As an example I run one cluster of servers dedicated to a single Enterprise solution consisting of a C++ client running 2000 connections to a SQL 7 Server backend. On the other hand I administer a SQL Server with 47 SQL 2000 databases on one box, none of which are larger that a few megs in size.

As part of each application and it's associated database whether developed in house or bought 'off the shelf' there should have been a certain amount of analysis into the minimum requirements. For any third party software you run the suppliers should be able to give you an estimate as to what to run for how many users etc. As for In house development this is something that should be addressed with the Development DBA's who worked on the product. The role of a production dba sometimes means you have to keep your ear to the ground when it comes to upcoming systems being implemented and the number of users on those systems which is where the 'dark art' takes over. If you are new to these systems ideally you should speak to the people who know the most about them in short :-

Speak to the Development DBA / The vendors.

Hope this helps a little.

We are currently in the process of developing our own application. (I believe they use VB.net) We use MSSQL-2K server for our DBMS. All our clients will come in over the internet to run reports, queries and view data.

I am new to the database admin side of things. I will just have to monitor it, and adjust as needed.

Thanks for the response
CXO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back