Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

perfmon, Terminal Services and PC Duo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rewebb

Technical User
Dec 12, 2001
GB
This is strange.

I have always used Terminal Services to connect to our web servers. As a matter of course I use Perfmon (running on the server) to monitor the web servers (and SQL Servers) to see how busy they are. Three of the parameters from the ASP objectI monitor are:
- "Request execution time"
- "Request wait time"
- "Requests queued"

They are (almost) always zero, so I'm happy.

Now The Powers That Be have decided that we have to use "PC Duo" to connect to the Win 2k servers. I monitor the servers with Perfmon and find that the numbers are very different!! For example the "Request execution time" and "Request wait time" averages 2 or 3 seconds and the maximum value can be as much as ten seconds!

Monitoring simultaneously with Terminal Services gives zero readings for these parameters. All other readings are pretty much identical (Processor usage, Network traffic, number of users, disk write, etc)

My questions are:

1. Why the difference between perfmon viewed with TS and PC Duo? (remember - perfmon is running on the server that I'm connecting to)

2. Which one is right?

Thanks in advance

Rob W

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back