Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perfmon Logical disk counters not appearing for SAN drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

tja0

MIS
Mar 1, 2002
US
Hi all,

I'm having an issue setting logical disk counters in perfmon against SAN drives on a W2K Server host.

The SAN disk is HP StorageWorks HSG80 based. There are 4 SAN drives on the host yet only one shows up in the right pane in perfmon when I select logical disk counters. All 4 drives do show up if I select physical disk counters. In both instances listed above the DAS C: drive is present.

Has anyone ever have the pleasure of seeing with this type of issue? Microsoft doesn't have a clue as yet and I'd like to trump them by finding the solution before they do. :)

Thanks, Tony

Hi,

You can add them to the Windows Perfmon app by adding the counters to the registry. However, this only applies if you are using Veritas Volume Manager.

Find the Volume Manager vmperf.ini (in our case in C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volume Manager 3.0\VM5INF folder), and apply to the registry with "lodctr vmperf.ini" on the command line. This gives access to the Dynamic Disk and Dymanic Volume performance object counters.

This gives the convenience of recording lots of metrics (i.e. not all disk related) to same log.

I don't know how helpful this is, but I'll offer it in good faith.

Cheers - Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back