Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perfmon Counters for Thru-put ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnBates

MIS
Feb 27, 2000
US
hi experts,

I'm using SS 2005 on Win 2003.

I had SQL Server's (synchronous) database mirroring in place for a long time. There seemed to be a drag on performance because SQL Server had to update/write at the mirror database first, then do the same update to the primary database.

I have now removed the mirroring and I'm trying to determine if I'm getting any performance benefit, increased thru-put.

These are the Perfmon counters I monitored before and after removing database mirroring:

Disk:% Disk Time
Disk:Writes per Second
Disk:Avg Disk Q Length
Disk:Avg Disk Write Q Length
Disk:Avg Disk Reads per Second
SQL Server Database: Trans per Second

CPU:% Processor Time

Memory:page Faults per Second

** If thru-put has improved, which counters would have a HIGHER value??

And could a LOWER value indicate an improvement for any of these counters?

I hope my question is clear.

Thanks very much. John

Hmmm, since no one else has responded I'll take a stab at it.

Of those listed I would only expect to see an improvement in SQL: Trans per Second. This number should increase.

My reasoning is that the other counters measure the speed between the application and the hardware which wouldn't take into consideration the time to write to the mirror. The SQL counter would measure total transactions internal to SQL and would take the mirroring factor into account.

I'm thinking out loud here...

-If it ain't broke, break it and make it better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back