Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Percentile function

Status
Not open for further replies.

mghafoori

Programmer
Feb 7, 2002
US
Hello:
I need to find the 30th, 40th, 50th, ... percentile for a set of values. I know oracle has a percent_rank function, but it doesn't work the way i want it to. Therefore i wrot my own function to calculate that and in that function I need to get all the values and insert them into a temp table and ordered by dollar amount in ascending order. I want to use the following SQL statement in that function but I am getting an error:

select l.trend_charge, row_number()
over (order by trend_charge) as cume
from cms.lab_main l
where l.hcpcs_cd = '82030'
and l.trim_code is null

this sql statement runs perfectly in SQL, but when you have it in a PL/SQL code, then it is giving me an error saying that "from" is expected after the word "over". This SQL statement uses an Analytical function of oracle (row_number) which basically orders the list and assigns a rownumber as a value.

Can anyone think of why this statement runs in SQL but not in PL/SQL. Or can someone suggest another way of computing the "Percentile" for a list of values.

Thanks for your help.

Mason

Unfortunately, analytic functions are not supported in PL/SQL. That shortcoming is fixed in Oracle 9i. You must be on 8i, so you have to use a work-around or avoid PL/SQL completely.

I've heard of two work-arounds that should work. You can define a view using your analytic function and reference the view from inside PL/SQL. The other alternative is to use dynamic sql. You can put your query into a string variable and do an "execute immediate" on the string.

I had tried dynamic sql method earlier, but i was getting some kind of error. I tried it again and now it works. Thanks Karluk for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back