Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Percentages, Passing Score, Etc... on the new CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsingh7

MIS
Feb 5, 2002
US
I plan on taking the CCNA exam soon and I just have one question regarding the Actual Exam and Practice Tests. Do you have to necessarily score above 85% in the Practice Tests... e.g., Sybex, Boson, Transcender, Etc.. ... to pass the ACTUAL CCNA 640-607 Exam? Considering the actual test is an Adaptive Test and the practice tests are not... Do you think I could pass the actual CCNA exam if I am not reaching the 85% mark on the Practice Tests???

Having just taken the CCNP Routing 2.0 exam (old version),
my average score on the boson series was between 82-94%
depending on which version (A-D) I took. I was able to
pass the exam with study and practice. However, I think
you should be scoring at least 85% or better on the exams
to insure you will pass (and NOT with just memorization,
make sure you KNOW the material inside and out).

-Bill

Having just taken the CCNP Routing 2.0 exam (old version),
my average score on the boson series was between 82-94%
depending on which version (A-D) I took. I was able to
pass the exam with study and practice. However, I think
you should be scoring at least 85% or better on the exams
to insure you will pass (and NOT with just memorization,
make sure you KNOW the material inside and out).

-Bill

Is this true with the CCNA exam as well... I was thinking that since the Actual Exam is Adaptive...meaning they give you an easier question if you miss the previous one and vice verca.. and since the Practice Exams are obviously not Adaptive... that you could score lower on them and still be able to pass the Actual Exam. Maybe I'm mistaken, but I have asked many people and they say that you can't always get the passing score on these practice exams... Also I was wondering... How many Fill in the Blank questions do you think there will be on the CCNA exam?

The CCNA exam 640-607 is NOT a adaptive exam. Consists
of roughly 50 questions and 2 to 3 simulations which
are to be completed. The passing score is still 849
(based on a scale of 300 to 1000). The lowest score
you can get is 300. My co-worker took the exam today
and passed with a score of 860 (barely passed, but
they don't list your score on your certification).

On Boson, I was getting 85-100 (I usually take tests in 15-20 incements). On other tests like the ones on cisco cd, I got between 65-80(HUGE moral crusher), I pased the test with a 885

i have the CCNA exam 640-607, but i have fail 3 times before i finally pass, it is not that easy, passing score is 85%, so u cannot get more than 7 questions wrong, good luck

I think many of you are a little off with the scoring mechanism. The score range is 300-1000, right?

CISCO has verified that the absolute minimum score anyone can get is 300. This means that you can get EVERY question wrong and still receive a score of 300. In other words, you get 300 points just by clicking the mouse.

The passing score is 849. On paper, 849/1000 generally equates to a rough 85%. This is not the case however. A truer score would be more like:

549 out of 700 (849-300 and 1000-300). Doing the math this equates to a 78% score. This means that 39 correct out of 50 questions correct equates to a 78%.

CISCO, like Microsoft and Novell, use a weighted exam. Some questions are more valuable, points wise, than others.

If you are scoring a consistant 85% or better on simulations, and have a good 30-40 hours of study time in, take the exam.

Then again, schedule the exam first, then start studying. You can always contact VUE or Prometric and reschedule within 48 hours should you feel that you are not ready.

Good Luck.

-Frog

I tend to agree on this point, if you are doing Boson exams, you should be
scoring at least 85% in order to make sure you know the material well, and
this means really studying the concepts, and not using braindumps or other
things (as these can't be brought into the testing center). Only schedule
exams when you are pretty sure you can pass them (otherwise, if you fail,
you have just wasted 125 bucks (or more)).

Well, I have some news for everyone... I wasn't scoring more than 80% on all the practice exams... Sybex, Boson, Transcender, ... However I took the exam last week and scored an 821.

The messed up thing about my score is that it should have actually been around 890 or 900. I felt as if I was going to ACE the exam when I was taking it until the first Simulator Question showed up. It was an easy question... set the password on 3 routers.... SIMPLE! I thought... When I clicked the icon that would pop up the Router Sim, Clicked on Console, then Okay, and BOOM! A BLANK screen just popped up and I couldn't type in anything. Didn't let me Minimize it or Close it... The only thing I could do was click COMMENT or NEXT... I clicked on Comment and typed in a comment for Cisco...stating that this was unfair because I couldn't type in anything and then I HAD to press NEXT, skipping the question and getting it wrong.

I even asked the lady monitoring the Test Center and she said she didn't know what to do. This process took atleast 10 minutes and toward the end of the test I was Speeding through it because time was running out. I made an Incident Report with Vue/Cisco and they said the test had no errors when they looked at it... a bunch of CRAP! Guess I'll try a different Testing Center next time!

J. Singh

If it's the same sim question I got, you were in the wrong routers console. I initially made a similar mistake: it turned out I hadn't read the question completely, and it asked you to set the passwords on ONLY ONE router. The other 2 routers already had passwords set, and I couldn't do anything with their console connections. Once I re-read the question, I connected to the correct routers console and had no prob setting the passwords.

The moral of the story is to read the questions VERY carefully. Otherwise you'll get burned (as I almost did).

HTH

Yeah, that was the EXACT question... However, I could NOT even go back and connect to the other router. The only thing it would let me do is click NEXT.

Also, you CAN still set the password on the other routers from the WRONG router by Telnet. I could have just telnet to the other routers and set the passwords because in the question it stated that the password should be 'cisco' for all devices. How many points do you think that question was worth if, like mine, you had to set p'words for 3 routers?

well, i have passed the exam yesterday , i scored 949 , i had the same simualtion password question , but i didnt try to play around , just typed in the commands and escaped before anything goes wrong :)

i agree its not an easy one , you have to be prepared , although i got a good mark , i was not sure that i can get the 849 till i saw the result.

Best luck for all ,

I agree... I took it today and I PASSED! I should have gotten over 900 if I did NOT type exit after typing in the information required for the simulation questions... However I managed to pass the exam slightly under the 900 mark. Good luck to everyone! On to CCNP it is... Now, any pointers on how to study for the CCNP exam? Is it possible to Self-Study as I did with teh CCNA? Also, which exam should I prepare for first... BSCN, BCRAN, BCMSN, or CIT? Any info is greatly appreciated! :)

Congrats jsingh7! Good to hear you got it done!

FWIW I'd recommend you do BSCN 1st. I'm doing BCRAN presently, and I'm finding that it assumes you know how to configure routing per BSCN. We've used OSPF, IGRP and EIGRP routing for our BCRAN labs, along with other elements. Completing the BCSN course, or having passed the -603 exam, is a pre-requisite for all the others @ my school. I'm attending a Cisco Regional Networking Academy, and they (not to mention Cisco) suggest the following order for CCNP:

BSCN
BCRAN
BCMSN
CIT

You could swap BCRAN and BCMSN, but for sure I'd do BSCN 1st and CIT last.

Just my $0.02

I just want to throw in my two cents.

I passed the 607 exam on the first shot and I'd have to say that the most valuable thing I did was to take the practice exams over and over.

I also used the flash cards extensively and I did a lot of practice on router config.

The thing with the sim questions is that on each router they have two hosts and only one host has a dotted line going up to the router. THAT is the one you have to use for configuration.

Finally, I don't think that getting 85% across the board is going to cut it.

Because of the way the test is set up it is very easy to score low on a particular question. For instance, I got a 50% on WAN technologies which probably means that I probably got two questions on WAN and answered one wrong.
If I hadn't hit 100% on a couple of areas I would have flunked.

Therefore I'd say that if you know you are strong in some areas, try to be PERFECT in them. The OSI is a good one to shoot for.

Finally, when you do practice tests, try answering them in your head without looking at the choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back