Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

percentage greater or less than

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbenaway

Instructor
Sep 19, 2002
Am needing a formula that will show weather one sum (column A)is greater than or less than the other sum (column B)by percentage. This value should show up in column C. I will then use conditional formating to colorize the numbers.

A B C
100 50 -50%

100 150 +50%

Again, thanks in advance, all of you have been life savers.

Using Excel: assumes data in A2 and B2, formula in cell C2

=IF(A2-B2,A2-B2,-A2+B2)

p.s. weather NE whether

bbenaway,

=$A1>=$B1

This gives you a true/false logic value you can use for conditional formatting. The >= operator might be =>. The equation above works for me in Open Office.

This is pretty basic Excel. Try reading the help files.

JHG

Do not use BFOJ's formula ( no offence BFOJ, you must have misread the question ). To get a percentage change use this:
Code:
=(B2-A2)/A2
formatted as percentage.

But what if you had an original number of zero, which changes to be non-zero? What answer would you expect? A department that I used to work for had a policy of using 999% or -999% for changes from 0 to non-zero ( depending on sign ), and a maximum reported change of 999%, no matter what the calculation was ( either sign ). For that we used:
Code:
=IF(A2=0,SIGN(B2)*9.99,SIGN((B2-A2)/A2)*MIN(ABS((B2-A2)/A2),9.99))
... again formatted as percentage.

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Thanks GlennUK, I did overlook the percentage requirement. My formula was for the difference being negative or positive. Thanks for pointing this out.

GlennUK,

How about =(B2-A2)/A2*100? Then bbenaway would get the exact results he wanted, then he could do the formatting.

BFOJ,

look at my first formula. It's the same as that, but without the "*100", as formatting as percentage takes care of that part.

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Do you want something that does what you ask for in the text of your question, or something that duplicates your example? They are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back