Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Percentage\Count by Categories

Status
Not open for further replies.

baboudi

Technical User
Oct 18, 2007
GB
Hi all,

Was wandering if someone could take me out of my misery. have been struggling with this for a few hours without success.

I have to calculate the percentage of tasks completed by category.
For a task to be considered as completed it has to meet the following criterias:

1. Task is marked as N/A
2. Task is marked as Applicable and has a value entered for job A and Job B

Fields:
1. Category
2. Task
3. JobA
4. JobB

This gives me the proper format. I.e. Each categeory and the percentage. However, I am ommiting the fact where JobA and JobB also have to be completed and this is where my problem starts.

select category, count(task)/Count(*) * 100 from tblTasks group by category

here I tried to get the number of tasks completed but it ignores the category. So I have the total number of tasks completed and the same number will appear per category.

select category, (select count(task) from tblTasks where (tbltasks.task = NA)
or ((tbltasks.jobA is not null) and (tbltasks.jobB is not null)), count(*) from tbltasks
group by category

'If I include a group by function within the subquery, i got an error saying that no more than 1 result set can be return - which makes sense

Please, anyone have any pointers as to how I can get the number of completed tasks (which is based on the expression described above) and the total number of tasks per category?

Many thanks
Baboudi

ok...worked it out by using the initial subquery in a comlpetely new query and doing a join on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back