Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PERC4/DC and Dell 220S Split Bus - RAID 0+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

charvett

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2004
US
I am in an all Dell environment, but don't see a Dell storage forum here. The Dell PERC4/DC is an OEM version of the LSI MegaRAID 320-2 so I thought this forum might be appropriate.

I have a Dell 220S, which is a direct connect SCSI enclosure that hold 14 drives in either split (7&7) or joined (14) bus configuration. I'm thinking of configuring two 7 drive busses. In each bus have two RAID 0 stripes - One with 5 drives the other with two drives. I want two have each bus controlled by its own channel on the controller. Then mirror the two busses together for redundancy.

Here's a rough diagram to help explain:
Is this configuration possible with the PERC4/DC? Any tips or guidance would be much appreciated.

What your diagram shows is a raid 10 configuration, easily done on the adapter. You do know with this many drives on each channel both channels are beyond scsi bus saturation. For max performance you would need a 4 channel adapter or two dual channel adapters, placing the database array on two channels, and the transaction log, temp files ect array on the the other two channels.
The PE 2800 would be a better server for running this database array, as it has a 133 MHz pci-x and Pci-express, which would take the Lsi u320-2x or u320-4x raid or u320-2e adapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back