Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PERC2 battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2003
US
I am having a problem reconditioning the battery on my PE6300. Have not had this issue before and have always been able to it without problem in the past. I have read thread 485-162350 which talks about the problem of getting this error message when trying to start the reconditioning process: "The controller cannot start a recondition operation right now, please try again later." I have not found anything about this at Dell either.

I have tried this procedure at various times, after reboots, from the FAST module or cmd line, all without success.
I am thinking the battery is shot and needs to be replaced as it never has been replaced in the last 5 - 6 years of server use.
I am also beginning to experience system lockups on this same server about once every 24 - 48 hours over the past few weeks. No log error messages, no process running wild and so far, untraceable. I am wondering if the battery problem is causing the PERC cache to fail which then locks the system up. This should just cause a slow down but because this is a Citrix server, the traffic may overwhelm it.

Any thoughts?

A reconditioning is the only reason I could think of as to why you would be experiencing any issues relating to the battery.

Have you given consideration to buying a new battery pack and bringing the server down long enough for the new battery to go through the initial conditioning cycle?

I believe that is the solution I am looking for. I pulled the card out last weekend to look at the battery to try and find a replacement. It is hardwired in, so it will be more of a chore to replace. I am looking for a battery replacement procedure. So far, both Dell or Adaptec have been of little help in that regard. Do you think shutting down the server for a 8 -10 hours will discharge the battery enough for the recondition cycle to run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back