Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PERC 6 won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

iolair

IS-IT--Management
Oct 28, 2002
US
I've been trying to get a PE 2950 to boot. I've been spending the last few days in the BIOS <Ctrl><R> utility trying to get this to work. When I boot the system, I get a no boot device found message. I've created the virtual disk, initialized the virtual disk (several times, in fact), and even run a consistency check. The LSI bios utility says all three disks are online and functioning. The only thing I see in the bios that looks weird to me is there is no space available on any of the hard drives (which I sort of expected, since it's a virtual disk) and the virtual disk shows 557GB. I'm using RAID 5. I bought 3 - 300 GB drives for this file server. Anyone know what I've overlooked in the BIOS setup? Just the one controller, and only those three disks on it. I tried to run the Dell server setup disk, it doesn't find any boot device. Running Windows Server 2008 setup also finds no boot device. In the server setup <F2>, the controller is enabled. Thanks.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

With Win 2008, there is no need to install a driver by F2, picks up a driver natively, so it should work. In the raid bios setup, there is a choice of where to boot from, same, I believe in the machine bios, likely one of these is not set correctly. Forget the Dell setup disk, setup directly with the Win 2008 disk.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

An update - re-installing 2008 worked, no problem. I guess Dell doesn't want you to install 2003. <g>

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Perhaps you ran into an issue with Win2003 I had. After the setup starts, hitting F2, I needed to use the Win 2000 raid driver to get the install to complete. Once it booted up, I updates to the Win2003 raid driver.
Anyway, Win 2008 is better then 2003, glad you got it going.
Any more issues, you can also try the Dell server forum

Thanks again. Now, to get Anti-Virus ordered that'll run on 2008. Shouldn't be a problem.

Iolair MacWalter
Network Engineer

Also look into OpenDns, nice web filter for free if you can live with the filtering designated to all users, not selective groups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back