Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perc 4/SC RAID 5, can't rebuild replacement drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achmed

Technical User
Jun 4, 2001
CA
Hi everybody,

I've stopped sweating now- the 2 disc failure I had with my 3 disk RAID 5 setup is now only a 1 disk failure. I was able to force one of the failed drives back online and get into the OS. I did some quick backups and now I'm trying to replace the remaining failed drive. When I install the replacement, the Ctrl-M PERC/CERC BIOS program doesn't seem to recognize the new drive as a drive. I am not able to select it in the rebuild screen, it says:

"Invalid Operation for this device. Press Any Key To Continue"

Same message comes up through the Objects screen when I try to get Drive Information.

Windows also won't boot this way, but it will if I either disconnect the new drive and run on the 2 good ones, or plug in the original failed drive.

The drive I'm using as a replacement is higher capacity and 15k vs. the 10k RPM of the original. Could that be the issue? I am able to select the old failed drive, but the rebuild process wasn't successful. I've set the jumpers on the front of the new drive to indicate the appropriate position in the array. I don't know what else to do.

New drive is a Seagate Cheetah ST373455LW, the old drive is a ST336753LW.

No idea how to fix this. Aide moi por favor!

Thanks
Alan

I don't have the firmware info, but the drive is a brand new Seagate unit. I'll check the firmware, thanks for the reply.

With a brand new drive it should recognized, refurbs/recerts are a different matter. Possible DOA new drive but that is extremely rare.
See if you can get the new drive recognized as a separate raid 0 (single drive)as a test, if it is not recognized then it is a DOA, assuming the raid firmware is up to date.
Very slim possibility, Seagate had a few drive firmware bugs over the years, check the Seagate site under a search for firmware issue or firmware bug.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks again.

I'm afraid to mess with the existing raid 5 array- obviously I can't lose the configuration or I'm into some serious problems.

How would I go about getting the new drive recognized as raid 0? Can I do this without destroying the raid 5 array?

I'm afraid to mess with the existing raid 5 array- obviously I can't lose the configuration or I'm into some serious problems"
Don't blame you, I lost a raid 5 a few years ago to a firmware update. Just asking, not recommending ANY firmware updates at this time.

"When I install the replacement, the Ctrl-M PERC/CERC BIOS program doesn't seem to recognize the new drive as a drive."

I re-read this. There should be not reason this drive does not show up as "ready" in the bios, other than a DOA drive, raid firmware issue, or drive firmware issue, jumper issue or bad connector matting surface, possible termination issue. The drive is larger than the old disk, I have replaced many raid disks with larger and faster rpm disks, there should be no issue.

Do you have contact cleaner to clean disk and cable connectors?
Do you have another cable? Possible data loss would warrant a complete new cable, or at least a swap with another,if you have one.
Call Seagate with the firmware revisions of the old drives and the new drive, ask if either has firmware issues.

I want you to post this issue over on the Dell server disk forum. I hang out there, and there are a couple people who might have run into this exact scenario, forum user Dev Mgr is one.

I don't have contact cleaner or another cable but I don't mind buying these things.

I am able to plug the failed drive back into the array and it is detected as a drive, so I'm not sure the cable is an issue.

I'll post in the other forum as you suggest. Thanks again for the help.

Been tired as I wrote these posts, your right, the old drives are detected so cable should be OK.
I assuming you tried multiple jumper setting, so that out.
So its down to DOA or something with firmwares.
Since you have data at risk, before I would try an adapter firmware update, I would return the new drive if possible and get an exact replacement. If the newest drive works, after a rebuild, update the adapter's firmware.

Exact replacement, supposedly brand new, I would check once drive comes in, at the Seagate site ..
(New drive 5 year warranty)..

I keep an eye out on Dell forum.

Have to make some money, check in latter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back