Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PERC 2/si

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex304

IS-IT--Management
Jan 29, 2001
US
I am trying to add an extra HDD on a Dell Poweredge 2400. It has a PERC 2/si RAID controller. It currently has a 9.1Gig HDD that is almost full and I want to add a 73Gig HDD. I installed and initialized the drive but it never was assigned a drive letter. I couldn't format it or use it, although I was able to see it using the "FAST" software. I am not using any type of mirroring. I just want extra HDD space. What am I doing wrong???

You will need to partition and format the drive before you can assign a drive letter. Fdisk.

If it is windows 2000 or later you can the Disk Management utility in the Computer Management (Right-click on My Computer and select Manage) window to format it within the GUI.

## Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Lorenzo Wacondo (System Administrator)

This server has the PERC 2/si controller installed. Dell OpenManage software has been installed. A program called "FAST" (part of OpenManage) has replaced the Disk Management software that comes with Win2K. Within this "FAST" softwar I am able to see the 73Gig drive. I am able to right-click it and select "initialize." But when I right-click this HDD, "fomat" is not an option. Also, there is currently a 9.1Gig drive on the RAID controller. As I do not know much about RAID controllers, I am wondering it the disks have to be the same size if I am not implementing RAID. I would like to set this 73Gig drive as a simple volume???

Thanks

If your connecting to a RAID controller the only option is make it part of the RAID set. Your best option to use the new HDD as a single device is to install a SCSI card and attach the HDD drive to it.

## Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

Lorenzo Wacondo (System Administrator)

I got this working this weekend. I was able to add the 73Gig drive onto the RAID controller. All I had to do was remove the old Dell OpenManage software and download all the newest Dell OpenManage software. Somewhere between removing old OpenManage software and installing the new OpenMangle...I mean OpenManage software, the Disk Management utility was restored onto the server allowing me to format the new drive. Thanks all. I appreciate the input.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back