Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Per Server or Per Seat

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechP74

Technical User
Aug 10, 2007
Sorry for a very basic question but I am not sure which to go with. I have reinstalled SBS 2003 Premium R2 but still in the testing phase. Do I want Per Server or Per Seat? I have about 25 users and 1 Server. I have 2-3 users who log onto 2 machines at once. Is Per Server what I want?

Thanks!

Per-seat licenses each user and doesn't limit the number of connections to the server. Per server just counts the number of connections to the server. If there's any chance you will have more than one server in your environment and/or you have users that log on to more than one system at a time, you should use per-seat.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Ok, so just to clarify. Amazing how the little things confuse me. :)

I have 1 Server that we have 3 handpunch timeclocks, 2 network printers, 25 users and 21 workstations. One workstation is used by 6 users (supervisors on various shifts and 2 other users log onto 2 machines at once during the day). Right now we only have 25 CALs in the current server. Also, will I be able to transfer the current CALs to the new server?

I also have 5 users with laptops that logon during the day along with logging onto their workstations.

Sorry ..hit reply before I was finished.

With this current set up I would want per seat correct? Do the network printers and handpunch timeclocks count against the CALs?

Your timeclocks and printers shouldn't count as connections unless they connect to the server to access resources or authenticate.

Per server licensing has an enforcement mechanism that will refuse connections beyond the 25 that were purchased. Per seat licensing is largely a matter of paper, being able to show, if audited, that you have a license for each user that connects to the server.

If the five laptop users are in addition to the other 25 users, you may have a license compliance issue that neither mode will save you from, but the per-seat mode will not enforce it.

Each OEM SBS install usually comes with a core of 5 CALs. From what I understand, those can't be moved, but you could install the additional CAL license pack (20 CALs?) on the new server. You'd have to call Microsoft during the CAL transfer process and let them know what you're doing so they can unlock those CALs for movement, but they will usually make it easy for you.

ShackDaddy
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back