Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PeopleTools version - which one is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lory

MIS
Nov 20, 2001
US
I would love to get responses from anyone who is on PeopleTools 8.42.08 (exactly this release) or later and whether or not you feel this release is stable. I'm specifically interested if you are running Microsoft Windows 2000 for any component, i.e. database, application, process scheduler, web, etc. We are having all kinds of problems and would like to compare notes with someone before we upgrade to another release with a different set of problems. Please respond to this thread and ANY information is greatly appreciated!!!

lory,
We are currently on PeopleTools 8.43.03 and have been for some months. We are not currently in production (ask me next week) but we have noticed that the performance of 8.43 over 8.42 to be significant. When we upgraded from 8.42, I think that we were at 8.42.08, and found it to be reasonably stable. We were using NT when we had 8.42, now with our production box it is Win 2000, and it has Web, App and Batch servers. We use Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 8 for our DB.
What sort of problems are you having? I remember a particularly annoying one where the browser would just disappear after logging on, this was a problem with IE, so make sure that you are using IE 6 with SP 1, there is also a compression setting in IE that can cause the App Server to hang. Can't quite rembember the specifics.

Pete

Well, for starters we have intermittent problems with Crystal processes. One will hang in Initiated or Processing status and subsequent ones will error out. This is supposedly fixed in 8.42.09 + POC or later releases.

The process scheduler appears to have a memory leak since object processes continue to rise and not release. PS is still looking into this one.

The web server will hang or freeze and not let anyone navigate or log in. This will be fixed in 8.43.10 or 8.43.08 + POC, since 8.43.08 is the latest version available right now.

These are just to name a few. As you can see we have tried and tried and there always seems to be an answer, UPGRADE TO A LATER RELEASE!

Uuuuurrrrggghhh!

Welcome to the wondeful world of PeopleSoft, while we have been testing the 8.43.10 patch, it has moved onto a .11 release. I am fairly convinced that it is not possible to keep completey up to date. Which is handy for PSoft as it buys them some time when you need to log a job, and then they respond are you fully patched?
As for memeory leaks, we have experienced a few of them, on the web server we increased the maximum size of memory that it was allowed (-mx... in the setenv.cmd). This has made the web server a bit more stable. It is still growing but we have a fair bit of head room. We were also getting shared pool errors from our Oracle database. Again we increased the memory available (50% increase ov version 7.5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back