Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PeopleSoft: importing Data 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wrinn

MIS
Apr 30, 2001
HK
I'd like to transfer data from flat files into my specfied tables. Does any know how to do it? I'm short idea about which tools can provide me.

Any advices or information are welcome.
Regards

Hiya,

The easiest way to populate your tables from flat files is to write some SQRs to do so. You can easily tell the SQR how your flat file is laid out (eg. is it space delimited, got a seperator) and the turn that into some values to use in a select statement to populate tables.

It is generally quite quick too, I have seen tables of ~ 500,000 rows updated in about 30 minutes, depending on the server and the database you are using.

HTH

Tim

Hi Wrinn,

Hey u can use import manager for this purpuse, this is tool being proviede by people tool, in which u can perform insertion into table from flat file, remeber flatfiles sould be in structured data format(no delimation) u can map all feld of table with start postion of field value and simply run the import manager a report will be printed indicating that whether import is successfull or not, in case if u have any confusion u can mail on alokksingh@yahoo.com

bye
Alok

Hello Wrinn,

You can do this by two methods:

1. By writing your own SQR report to read flatfile and insert into tables.

2. By using the PeopleTool Import Manager also we can populate the data into tables.

Second one is used if we have one to one mapping of fields.

Let me know if you need more information on this.

bye,
krishna.

In order to import data two of the following methods could be adopted :

The pre-requisite being the flat file should be in a particular format so as to enable trouble-free import of data.

1. SQR ( They act as an interface in loading flat file data into our tables.)

2. Import manager. ( A tool that is used extensively
for this purpose.)

thanx
giri

Beginner question:

Assume that I have a string: 'PO - BOX 12345 - 999'. I want to start from the right, moving left, acquire the first hyphen. Once I do this, I want to set the portions to the right and left of the hyphen to different variables. How exactly do I do this. As I said I am beginner and not well versed in SQR. I am using the code below, which does look for a hyphen however it assumes that only one hyphen can exist in the string. Please help.

begin-procedure Check_Vendor_Information !!!Looking for the hyphen right here.
let #start_remit_char = 0

let $chk_vendor_setid = 'KMCTL'
get $chk_vendor_id from APSEND_HDR_REC_ARRAY(0) vendorcode

get $chk_vendor_loc from APSEND_HDR_REC_ARRAY(0) vendorloccode
let $chk_vendor_loc = rtrim($chk_vendor_loc,' ')
find '-' in $chk_vendor_loc 0 #hyphenloc
!display $chk_vendor_loc
if #hyphenloc = -1

!*******System Test Fix ... Fix format E. Pasha 11/28/01 ***************************************************
!let $eError_Message = ' No hyphen found in VendorLocCode on APSEND file'
let $eError_Message = ' No hyphen found in Vendor Loc Code on APSEND file'
let $eError_Message = $eValidation_Error||$eError_Message
!*************************************************************************************************************

do WRITE_ERROR_REPORT
let $Is_reject_flg = 'Y'
else

!*******System Test Fix ... get correct position for starting remit location extraction E. Pasha 11/27/01 ****
let #start_remit_char = #hyphenloc + 2 !get position after hyphen
let $chk_remit_addr_seq_num = substr($chk_vendor_loc,#start_remit_char,3)
let $chk_vendor_loc = substr($chk_vendor_loc,1,#hyphenloc)
!**************************************************************************************************************
end-if

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back