Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

peoples opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoja

Technical User
Dec 3, 2003
US
I would like to read some of your opinions about Autocad Full version -vs- Autocad lite....what are some of the main reasons why you would choose Full instead of Lite, what are some of the advantages etc?

I personally think one of the biggest function is being able to customize the Full version through the use of programming (VBA, Autolisp)

I'm just curious because a friend asked me how he would justify getting the Full version vs the Lite version for use in a Manufacturing facility.

Hi hoja,

In addition to the customization abilities, with full blown AutoCAD you have access to 3D creation and editing. I know AutoCAD LT will let you view/load 3D entities, but if I remember right, you can't create or modify 3D objects like you can in the full blown version of AutoCAD.

HTH
Todd

Does anyone here have experience or use more than one CAD program....I'm trying to get some feedback on other cad programs in the market.

If you use 2D and do not interact with or exchange information with others outside your company, anything you like is possible. If you have to interact with others companies, AutoCAD is pretty universally accepted as the default 2D CAD program. The LT version does well for most, but to customize and streamline your work, full AutoCAD is great. 3D affords a lot more choices. If you use 3D fulltime and are not using highly stylized shapes, Inventor, SolidWorks, and SolidEdge are the way to go. If you design aircraft, cars, need highly complex shapes or surfaces, then something like Unigraphics, Catia, ProE are your next steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back