Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pentium not MMX compatible? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RanBourn

Technical User
Jun 7, 2001
US
I recently installed a Rockwell 56K software modem in a friends computer. It's quite an old looking machine with a pentium 200MHz CPU. She is running windows 98 also. But when I installed the drivers for the modem a message popped up saying that the CPU is not MMX, I have never come accross this in all my day's of upgrading my oen and friends computers till now. Can you help ?. A solution would be great but if not an explaination of why this is happening and what I can do about it would be fine. Thanks in advance

Intel started the MMX processors with 166Mhz through 233Mhz (P55C is official processor designation) on socket 7. However they did create a 166 and 200 Mhz processor (P54C) that was compatable with older motherboards. The MMX processors was different in the fact it added more instructions and has a "split voltage" It uses I believe a 2.8V core and 3.3V I/O. Where as the non MMX were straight 3.3 to 3.5 V core.

Hope this clears thing up. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

In addition, the modem you have is a winmodem (soft modem) and will NOT ever run on a non-MMX CPU.
You will either have to upgrade the CPU, or purchase a hard modem. Diamond has the Supra Express ISA ACF modem, direct from their website ( for $19. You just can't get a better deal on a hard modem anywhere. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

These two guys are right (in my experience anyway). I had a P166 non mmx until recently. I purchased a 3com winmodem and it would not work. After about a week and 4 MORE winmodems i finally upgraded my m/b and processor. Wroked fine after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back