Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pentium 4 Does NOT Work w/ Openserver 5.0.5? "rs506a"? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2002
US
I have a small P4 server that is locking up about once a day. The Unix and application are both 100% character.

I have found 2 really obscure postings that say a P4 will only work with 5.0.6, that it needs rs506a.

1) Is this really true?
2) Is there any cheaper way to upgrade to 5.0.6 than spending $230? (I have a registered 5.0.5 Enterprise edition)
3) Does it come with rs506a or do I need to download it from some directory like (it specifically mentions Openserver)

Argh! I sure wish I had never heard of P4's!

Thanks. I really appreciate any help.

I had a similar problem with SCO 5.0.5 on a Dell PowerEdge 6600. Release 5.0.5 does not support Intel P4 Xeon processors. I purchased the 5.0.6 media kit for $99. The media kit includes rs506a.

Is the rs506a upgrade all I need?

I downloaded a file rs506a.tar (zipped, 12,187KB) and a 94K text file -
Release Supplement 5.0.6A for OpenServer 5
Release and Installation Notes
4/25/2001

Thanks for the suggestion about the media kit - it sure beats $600-700.

A year later and I have same p4 and 505 pblm. Did the rs506a.tar fix the hardware issue?

The project was stopped - the customer went elsewhere and paid a $3000 premium (over what I was charging) to get a refurbed Pentium 3. Ironically, I only got him the Pentium 4 because he insisted it had to be new.

But I am about to finish (with help) setting up a Dual P4 800 HP server with SCO Unix OpenServer so I may be able to answer your question shortly.

Yes Openserver 5.0.6a does work with a P4 or Xeon processor, as does 5.0.7

sco 5.0.5 does not support P4. is incorrect.
the message at SCO site is scary. actully scary.

P4 has thermal throttle and it slows down when heated. this selective locking probably was not in earlier processors.

5.0.6a with oss648 (i thinke it is 648) has taken care of soem s./ issues. There wser some spin loops in 5.0.5 which could cause the p4 to heat up which has ben removed.

this is based on a correspondence between a sco engineer and somebody else
which i was lucky to find on goggle (jus by accident)

so if u have a small amount of load or can keep the P4 coll u can use 5.0.5 provide u have drivers for all controllers on 5.0.5

[ponder]
----------------
ur feedback is a very welcome desire

Backoftheworm,

Did you do a update in place, or a fresh install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back