Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pentium 3 Computer Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajay011

Vendor
Dec 21, 2010
NP
Sorry if I have started this thread in the wrong place.

With a Pentium 4 Computer already in use I decided to re-use the old Pentium 3 Computer with following specs:

The P3 Computer has a on board BUILT IN Date Stamp 11/02/01 (2001)
384MB RAM ( 256MB + 128MB )
40GB HDD
On Board Intel Graphics Video card
CD-RW Drive
KeyBoard (USB), Mouse (USB)

With a replacement of the dead CMOS Battery, the Computer ran smoothly just a few days ago and prompted for the Disk Drive(I had no HDD then). I then added the 40GB HDD yesterday and started the Computer only to find the Computer automatically getting inside the BIOS with the newly bought USB KeyBoard unusable no lights, nothing.
I know that the absence of lights in KeyBoard could mean a dead Computer Board, but it was the same just few days ago too.

But after some minutes of rest and a try, the Monitor was not displaying any thing. The light of the Monitor keeps blinking and its' the old Pentium 3 Computer has a Slot which is incompatible with newer Graphics Card(Graphics Card after 2001). It has the old Graphics Card Slot which is useless now.

I tried changing the Power Supply, the CMOS Battery, removing a slot of RAM, etc but nothing worked. After some hours, I also unplugged the HDD, the CD-RW Drive, but nothing worked.

And now after nearly 7 hours, the Computer itself doesnot start and the Wires are just untouched so I don't know what caused it to be unstartable.

I know that the P3 Computer is nearly 10 years old(from Manufacture Date). But was could be found working and healthy just a few days ago.

Thanks......................................................

First step I would take would be pull the battery again and let it stand overnight.

USB keyboards are fine if the BIOS is set for them but you would probably be better served with a PS2 type.

That seems a good candidate for W2K or 98SE.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Pull the memory after waiting as suggested. If it doesn't beep at you, then the motherboard is likely dead. A motherboard without memory should give a series of beep codes IF healthy.

[quoite]But was could be found working and healthy just a few days ago.[/quote]that also could happen to a spanking brand new mainboard...

but age does make a difference, as the electrolytes in the capacitors tend to loose their stability and will not function...

sometimes they begin to boil and cause the caps to bulge and or leak. so check the caps on the mainboard, and if they are bulging/leaking then it is toast, unless you can solder new ones in...

see (as a reference):
Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Thanks for your replies. I was unable to access Internet due to some problem(s) in the phone line. Anyway, I have managed to make to MainBoard and the Monitor work. It was not related to CMOS Battery or the date of Manufacture but due to some damaged pin and I managed to fix it. But the USB KeyBoard is still not working in the Old P3 Computer. I have tested the USB KeyBoard in the P4 Computer and it works perfectly fine. The problem is that it doesnot have any PS/2 KeyBoard port(s). And I am stuck in the Black Screen which the Computer shows immediatley after pressing Boot Switch which asks me to press F1 or F2 and or DEL. As you see the problem here is that I do have PS/2 KeyBoards but not a single port in the Computer to insert in and the USB KeyBoard doesnot work. What can I do other than using a sledgehammer???

Well, if you want to really make it work and not give up on it.. I guess you could try to research the motherboard and see if there are any jumper settings that might help get past the initial prompts.. at least that's something I'd look at.

Then again, if you can't find any info, I don't see any harm in just trying to see... check your jumper pin settings, take a picture or write them down... and try swapping a thing or two around. Worst that would happen is a dead motherboard that is practically worthless anyway. [wink]

That's assuming, of course, that you don't have a Serial keyboard or some other adapter as mentioned earlier.

Oops - I said serial mouse, didn't I. I don't think there are serial keyboards.....

Well, what were the keyboards that had the big fat round connectors? The aren't PS/2 nor USB for sure... if they are not Serial, are the PS/1? [wink] I'm not sure... the PS/1 part was facetious, but I have no idea of the definition for the seemingly WAY over-sized PS/2 ports. I've got one or two keyboards/mice with that connector. Can't remember, now that i think of it, whether it were just an adapter or an actual unit with it..

Early DIN5 were called PC or XT, later called AT when the keycodes were changed, with some having switches to convert between XT and AT keycodes. PS2 are basically AT with MINIDIN connectors, although there are other bells and whistles added. The PS2 came about when IBM released new hardware along with OS2 in a battle with MS over operating systems.

OP may want to do a google search for the problem of the USB keyboard not working. There may be requirements to use a specific USB connector, possibly one on the front of the case.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back