Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PegasusProviderAdapter.exe service causing sustained high CPU Levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrancour

MIS
Jan 23, 2003
US
Can anyone provide me with information as to what exactly the PegasusProviderAdapter.exe service does for IBM Director? I'm told it has something to do with how Director polls information from the ServeRAID adapters. I also know that it is normal to see very brief (but periodic) spikes in CPU utilization to around 99%. What's not normal is that I'm seeing sustained rates of 50% or more on several X-Series servers; some running W2K other running W2K3 and all running Director Agent 4.21. Other similar X-Series servers do not have this sustained CPU rate. Any links to sites that contain additional information would also be helpful!

I have seen this a lot myself. Curiously, which xseries models do you have the problem on?

HTH - Stiddy

This particular case is with an X-350 that has a 4Mx ServeRAID adapter. ServeRAID BIOS/Firmware/Device Driver are all at 6.00.31 and the OS on this box is Windows 2000.

The pegasus adapter is an open source DTMF provider for CIM and WBEM. It's used by the director agent when collecting hardware information during an inventory.

The problem you are having really sounds like the same old problem IBM has with directory inventories and the serveraid cards. During the inventory process, singbus.dll resets the PCI bus, ouch. The answer is to rename singbus.dll and restart the director agent.

Thanks xmsre. In this case I ended up killing the Pegasus process and restarting it to drop the CPU utilization because the customer was getting alarmed (don't they always). I'm fairly confident it will creep up again and I'll try this next time or on another machine when it happens. Thanks again for your input!

--Mike

We have this issue as well on X-series boxes as well. We killed the process for now and it brought down the utilization, however, when I went to check for singbus.dll, we do not have this file on these systems. Any other ideas?

I was notified of a fix for this from a former co-worker on another account who was experiencing the same issue. A patch was developed by the Product Development folks on the X-Series Systems Management Software Development Team. I can't post it here but you can call into the X-Series support line and request it. The name of the file is: dir4.21pf2.exe. The size and date of this file is: 5/26/05 & 5,652,657 MB. Please note that this patch is ONLY for Director Agent version 4.21. It is not for lower versions and version 4.22 has the patch code embedded in it so, upgrading to verion 4.22 will also correct this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back