Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peer to peer network lockout problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

bowz75

IS-IT--Management
Oct 19, 2006
US
I have a peer to peer network consiting of 3 64 bit dell PCs and two Mac Pros. Each Mac pro has 3 virtual xp systems. User accounts on all systems match (user name and password) and I understand that each account has a different user hash. When users log into one systems they typically navigate to an external Lacie drive on another systems. I have a problem with user accounts getting locked out on the distant PC. Password policy locks out after 5 failed attempts, but users get locked out after 1 failed attempt over the network. Any solutions? Will a server running AD solve this issue?

If it is just a password problem and not something like a firewall interfering, or access permissions for sharing, or NTFS security being at fault, see if you can use these articles?

There is a "Manage Passwords" section obtained via typing Control Userpasswords2 in the Start Run box. In the resulting window you will get to it via the Advanced tab.

See if there is anything mentioned in "Manage Passwords" that you can use?

Another thing you can look at is this -

306541 - HOW TO: Manage Stored User Names and Passwords on a Computer That Is Not in a Domain in Windows XP

Behavior of stored user names and passwords

There also is an area for managing stored passwords in Windows 7.

You can add, delete or change the passwords that you store on your computer.

Open User Accounts via the Control Panel.

In the left pane, click Manage your Credentials.

Select the password you want to manage (or use the Add button to add a password and network location).

Click Edit , if you want to make any changes , and then click OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back