Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peer to Peer connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2002
CA
Hello,

My client is using an XP workstation as a server to test a data warehousing software. I have installed it on the workstation beingused as a server. When I try to access it from a client XP machine I cannot connect to the machine acting as a server when I open my application. It is prompting me for a password for that machine. I am entering the administrator password and I continue to receive the error "could not log to \\nameofserver.I am a software consultant so my networking knowledge is limited. The software installed runs on SQL I have no problem connecting to the SQL server, the problem is connecting to the server. I have tried adding the ip address in the host file on the client machine and the customer has set up the following:

client user has all the rights on the C driver (‘cause all rights for “Everybody” and “Domain Users” were granted on the C drive)
He is also part of the “Domain Users”, who are OLAP Administrators in Analysis Manager (see attached file)

Is there something I need to do/add to either one of these machines ? When I am prompted for the server password I am using the administrator on the server workstation, is it possible it is prompting me for another password ?

Thanks,
Debbie

Since you're on a domain try the format domainname\administrator for your user name.

Cheers.

debbiecarvery,

This not what I would describe as peer-to-peer, as you are wanting to use a domain SQL server.

This link has several chapters that you can investigate.I would look at Joining a domain and work from there.

Hope you find an answer

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back