Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peer review 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickIRL

Programmer
Jun 25, 2003
Hi all,

I'm a contractor and I'm working very closely with a project manager who's also a contractor.

He's asked me to do a peer review of him in the next week or so. I've never done this before and I've no idea what to put in or how to get started.

Can anyone give me pointers in the right direction??

Thanks in advance,

Patrick

redsmooth

From my experience...
- Peer review is confidential. The person you are reviewing should not see your inout.
- Did you not get a form or email from your project manager's boss or his HR department? Surely, they do not expect you to come up with your one devices for this. Hmmm 3 sentences, 10 pages, something in between? If you hvae not received a form, ask your project manager for a name to follow up on.

BTW, you may be in a tough position. As a contractor of a contractor, your feedback may be fairly easily determined. This may make you vulnerable if you have some discussion points. Next stop on Tek-Tips, perhaps...
Information Technology Ethics in the Workplace Forum

redsmooth,
I agree with willir that some guidance (a standard HR form perhaps) should be provided regarding what the PM wants in the review.

However, I disagree with the peer review being confidential. How is the PM supposed to know how they're doing if people aren't willing to provide feedback. If your feedback is honest, and you can back it up with specific examples, then its worth using in a review. If you're not willing to give the feedback to the person, then you shouldn't be writing it in a review.

I am what I am based on the decisions I have made.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

The reason a peer review is confidential is that the "peer" may state some not so nice things. If you are reviewing a manager, or equial, this may result in negative or antagonistic action.

Gee, you are reviewing your boss and you do not like his management style, or you consider him/her to be a poor leader (but a good friend). If this information is not kept confidential, then the boss may resent the feedback and take action, say the next time job cuts are done. OR, you will protect yourself and present a glowing picture of your boss which defeats the purpose of constructive crtisism.

The manager of the person being reviewed takes the consolidated reviews and reviews them in general terms with the person being reviewed as part of the performance review.

I have always liked your posts in the past DoubleD, but on this issue we differ.

willir,
I agree with your posts more often than not, you have some great advice to offer. So fair enough then, we agree to disagree. I've always felt that open and honest discussion is best for all interested parties. I know it's a bit of an idealistic view to believe that any boss can take open and honest criticism without taking "revenge", but it's what I believe is right.

I feel this way about salary issues to. I work at a company where pay is very confidential. I believe that if a manager can't justify why they are paying one person more than another, then there is an issue with pay.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Thanks for the feedback. I assume it will be a face-to-face review so at least he can get feedback.

I did get some papers from the web (did a google) and came up with some templates for peer review which I think I'll use.

For me its uncomfortable because I haven't done it before and I don't want to come across as naive or unprofessional in my approach. At the very least he deserves a complete picture, not a half-hearted attempt which could be worse than no review at all (am I right??).

Again, thanks for the replies, much appreciated,

Patrick

redsmooth,
You're taking the right approach, and your project manager will appreciate it. Be sure that any criticism or praise you provide is backed by specific examples, it lends a great deal of creedence to your feedback.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back