Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Peachtree Quantum speed issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

PatrickRyan

Technical User
Jan 30, 2007
US
To start, this is my network.
5 workstations XP Pro SP2 fully patched 2 gig AMD 1 GB ram
1 Server Windows SBS 2003 fully patched Dual Opteron 2 GB ram CPU 2.2 Gig

running gigabit ethernet over copper (cat6)

Database is 987.5 meg file. CPA says we cannot purge anything out of the current file. So, I can't make this file any smaller.

Data is centrally stored on server. Server is only running the back end of peachtree and file server. All work orders, etc are stored here as well.

We updated from Peachtree 2004 to quantum. The reason was 2004 was crashing every so often and the tech told us the database was too big and we needed Quantum.

Problem now is a) The tech guys still say we need to purge, because DB is still too big. b) 2004 was faster, even with the occasional bouncing of the server to fix the lockup.

Is there anything that we can do to speed this up? Short of building 5 monster gaming rigs with 4 g processors and 4 GB of memory just to run this accounting progam?

Try increasing the cache size.

Use regedit.exe (Registry Editor)

HKey_Local_Machine, Software, Pervasive Software, MicroKernel Workstation, Version 9, Settings, Cache Size

You should be able to double the value.

If you don't know much about Regedit.exe do some research prior to messing with it.

Michael
- Peachtree Accounting Data Recovery

Peachtree and Quickbooks are designed for small business with small amounts of data. You probably need to upgrade to a mid-level. Someting like Cougar Mountain which has CMS which is DBF based and able to handle files to 2 Gigs in size or Denali which is SQL bases. Or you could go with Sage PRO which will handle similar data loads but is much more expensive.

I'm not saying Peachtree is a bad program. I've used it myself for years, but I run a one man shop doing a few hundred transactions a year. It's perfect for that, fast and easy. Through size at Peachtree and it falls apart.

Bill Couture
SBTBILL.COM

Your size of data is pretty incredible. Like previous posts you are now entering the database needs of a mid-sized accounting software. There are a number of them out there.

But I draw issue with your reason. Your CPA says so? You've got to be kidding. There probably is more to it. But in every company I've worked at the management needs dictate requirements.

Even if you need to access that amount of data, you can archive different years and thereby free up space on your production company.

Now if you have 1 gig of data just in one year than you have outgrown peachtree and probably a few other accounting programs.

just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back