Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE2800 PERC4ei and W2K SBS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lb63640

MIS
May 12, 2004
US
My company just ordered a PE2800 with no OS, and this will replace an existing server. The plan was to use our existing Windows 2000 SBS to install onto it, as MS says OK (we are retiring the old server).

The Dell Installation & Server Management CD doesn't have an option for W2K SBS. There is W2K (vanilla version) or W2K3 SBS. I called Dell, and they said that the PE2800 isn't certified for W2K SBS---and that if we do manage to get it installed, they won't support it in any way as they advise against it.

Due to budgetary constraints, I don't see W2K3 SBS in our future. Anyone got an idea of how I can get the PERC4ei to be happy, and format the 2 300 GB drives so I can manually install W2KSBS?

I've already tried to fake out the installation CD and it sees the W2K SBS CD and gives me an "invalid CD" message, so it KNOWS the difference :)

Have you tried just creating a floppy disk with the drivers and not using the Dell CD? I never use the Dell CD when building servers on Dell hardware. You can download the drivers from support.dell.com

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

58sniper, thanks for your input. For some reason--sleep deprivations, probably--it never really dawned on me to go the "old fashioned" route minus the Dell CDs :) Feeling like a goober, and going back into the server room now...

It's not a problem. I, personally, don't use the Dell CDs other than for Open Manage. I always grab the latest driver from their site and use standard Microsoft CDs.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back