Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PE 6400 help with backplane and RAID controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

16Vjohn

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2008
US
I have a poweredge 6400 that didn't come with onboard raid. I have an AMI megaraid card which I have verified to work. Problem is, when I plug the backplane into the raid controller all I get is "PROC" as device 6 with no drives. The controller recognizes this device as a dell backplane 1x8. The controller sends the spin up signals and all drives a running, but none of them register as physical drives.

If I use the onboard scsi controller, it finds all 6 drives so I know the backplane and drives are functional.

Is there some kind of proprietary evilness preventing this RAID card from working with the dell bp correctly?

TIA!

Not sure about the 6400 but my PE2650's have onboard raid capability if you have a 'raid key' installed. The default bios setup for the controller is SCSI. In order to use the raid you have to change that to 'RAID' in Bios and reboot. There may be a similar bios setting in the PE6400. Dell CD's provide the support necessary to build the arrays.
As far as the id 6, that is typically the id for a hot swap backpanel.
Using controllers not tested and or approved by Dell may or may not work with their backplane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back