Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDW...installing on Win98 fails to register msadox.dll 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFRobishow

Technical User
Jun 18, 2003
CA
Hi,

I've posted yesterday about not being sure if my app would run on a machine that didn't have Access installed. Since I was using an Access 2000 db as a backend to my app the answers were yes.

I finally got a chance to try it on a fresh Win98SE install and when I try to run the setup it fail when it try to register msadox.dll.

Error is :
"An error occured while registering the file 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msadox.dll'"

I have the choice to Abort, Retry or Skip.

I've chosen retry and just to have it show up again, so I skipped and tried to register it manually with :
regsvr32 "C:\Windows\System\msadox.dll"

That fail as well giving me the error :
"LoadLibrary("C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\msadox.dll") failed GetLastError returns 0x00000485"

I checked and msadox.dll is in C:\Windows\System. The file version is 2.71.9030.0 which is what I have on my system that I'm developping on as well. The file size is 176Kb on both OS.

When I created the package, the report said I needed DCOM98 if I was installing on a Win98 machine. That is the only thing I installed after freshly installing Win98.

So what give? I never thought being compatible with other boxes would be so hard :p

Ok it's working now, I still get the error when it try to register the dll during the instalation, but if I update MDAC to 2.8 manually everything start working as expected.

Guess I'll have to include MDAC 2.8 with the app. I am not to sure as to how to do that though...I'll try to replace mdac_typ.exe that get created by the PDW with the 2.8 file.

Hi:

The mdac_typ.exe file that PDW uses is stored in

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\Redist

If you intend to use one version of MDAC_TYPE.exe, then I would suggest replacing the copy in the above directory with the version you wish to use with PDW.

Cassandra

Yay! it's working now thanks to you CassandraR.

I tried replacing mdac_typ.exe after making the setup but that throwed more error when I installed that I could handle :p replacing it directly in the PDWizard directory did the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back