Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDM - Max Interface ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubarooni

Technical User
May 13, 2001
US
Last week my trusty old 506 died on me. Cisco sent me a replacement the very next day and I got it back up and running within hours thanks to a config backup. The only thing different is that I took the opportunity to go ahead and upgrade the OS to 6.3(5) and the PDM to 3.0(4).

All is well and good with it but I have noticed something. When I look at the PDM it now says I have Max Physical Interfaces:2 and Max Interfaces:4.

The old PIX was running 6.3(4) OS and 3.0(2)PDM. It was Max Physical Interfaces:2 and Max Interfaces:2.

As a CCNA-wannabe I wonder, have I gained 2 interfaces somehow and what can I do with them if so?

Thanks In Advance

The 506 doesn't have any expansion ports so i doubt you can use the extra interfaces...

Rats! I was hoping I'd picked up a new feature to play with.

Max interfaces is the total physical and virtual interfaces. That is why you see the increase difference. You can use vlans and have more interfaces.

a virtual interface? i am kinda familiar with the idea from the catalyst switches i use. what can i do with them on the pix? can i add a dmz?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back