Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pdf's are locked when exported from Pagemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

misskittywildcat

Technical User
Jan 10, 2003
US
When I create pdf's that I've EXPORTED from Pagemaker 7, it is automatically locking them, so when the printer gets them, they have to unlock each and every one of them. I cannot figure out any way to get rid of that feature. I cannot unlock them in Acrobat either. The dialogue box gives me NO option to change anything. Pagemaker is putting "Acrobat Standard Security" on the files.

When I PRINT the files to the distiller, they are not locked; however, I do not like the quality of the half-tone photos that come from printing them. I would rather be able to export them. If you have any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,

CAT

I cannot help with the 'lock' problem. That's a new one on me.

If you do not like the results of the Distiller output, make sure you are sending 'normal' (not 'optimized subsampling') images from the PM print dialog preferences. Also make sure that Distiller is configured correctly to output images in the proper resolution.

Whether using Export or saving to .ps file and distilling, you will be able to getthe same output.

If you are getting inferior output when using the 2-step process,it is due to your ditiller settings. Open Distiller, and go to Distiller>Job Options.... make sure that your graphics settings are set up properly, with proper resolution and "no compression". and as Jimobklak said, make sure you are sending 'normal'. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Hi, misskittywildcat,

I'm not sure what you mean by "locked"? How is your printer "unlocking" the file?

> Pagemaker is putting "Acrobat Standard Security" on the files.

That's the encryption which relates to the version of Acrobat used. If you have Acrobat, you can change "Standard Security" to "No Security".

Can you upload the PDF so I can take a look? Or e-mail to bigjohnd@bigfoot.com it if it'll fit in my mailbox (<2Mb)

Iechyd da! John
13:09 18/01/03 GMT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back