Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDFs and problems when the work is PRINT out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Jul 16, 2003
ES
Hello again!!
I need help, because my printers don´t know what can be the problem, and I have look around in internet and I didn´t find nothing. I have a PC, W98, Quark 4.1, Distiller 4.0.
The problem is: I make the PDF (Print/Distiller....), I see the PDF is OK. I send all the PDFs to the printers. And when the newspaper is out, ooooooooh!!! Noooo!!, I can see that sometimes, only sometimes, the brackets () are deform and stretch.
It happen me month ago in a little ad, so I delete the (), but this week the problem appears on the frnt page, thi is because I´m afraid.
If somebody can help me, I´m going to be very thankyou, because nobody here knows what can I do!!
Thanks a lot!!

When you open the PDF in Acrobat, does it say that all fonts are embedded? [check properties]

- - picklefish - -

Why is everyone in this forum responding to me as picklefish?

This is almost certainly a glitch in your pdf - the brackets have been deformed at the distilling stage. I recommend you check over any pdfs before you send them to the printers. If you find an error like this there's a good chance that simply re-creating the pdf will fix the problem. Not very technical I know, but I've seen it quite a few times.

First thanks for your answers!!
When I make the PDF it looks ok, this is because I don´t make the PDF again, because all seems ok.
Few minutes ago I had open the PDF in acrobat, and in Font info I saw this:
All the foonts are truetype, but... in Used font: not all are embedded subset.
But what can I do, because in Distiller options I have select: Embed all fonts.
Ooooh! jooo! Sometimes...my computer....turn me crazyyy!!
If you have more tips....
Anywhere Today I´m going to reinstall the Distiller.
Thanks a lot!!

Don't re-install distiller. This problem may be something to do with you using true type fonts. Type 1 fonts are generally thought to work better for creating pdfs.

Otherwise, did you apply character formatting using the measurements palette in Quark (ie, did you click on 'bold' or 'italic' to get the required font)? If so, it is likely that a 'faux' font is being used, perhaps causing your problem.

Sharkboots!!
You have the KNOWLEDGE,and you use it. You don´t know how I thank your posts!! A lot and a lot!!
It´s incredible your knowledege of the progams!!
You´re right, I apply character formatting using the measurements palette in Quark(and thanks for the "ie", because my english sometimes isn´t enought good for understand all). I know this is not very good, when I was studing in the arts School my teacher of Quark tell me that, but, I thought that was for oldprint, not for PDFs prints.
I have two questions:
- How you can know if a font it´s truetype1
(because yesterday in internet, in adobes page, I read the same, It´s best use this tipe of font)
-When I´m going to choose the font, I only have Arial or times new roman, but not bold, italics.... What you think I can do for this??

Anywhere I´m going to tell this to our technicals, for see what they think.
Your help was/is very very useffull, you give lot of ideas and solutions. Thanks a lot!

True type fonts have a .ttf extension. Type 1 fonts have a .pfm extension. Type 1 fonts also have a .pfb file for kerning. In your fonts drop down menu True Type fonts have a 'TT' symbol, Type 1 fonts have a 'T1' symbol. To use Type 1 fonts in Windows 98 you'll need to have Adobe Type Manager installed (you can download a free 'lite' version).

To check your fonts in Quark, place your cursor on the character you wish to check, then click 'Usage' on the menu bar. In the 'Fonts' section, your selected font will be highlighted. Click on 'More Information' and you'll get some info about your font. If the postscript name of your font does not seem accurate (ie, if you are trying to use Arial italic but the postscript name is simply 'Arial') then you are applying a faux italic effect.

The issue of using the character buttons on the measurements palette is difficult to resolve because some fonts are set up so that you cannot access all weights and styles unless you use the buttons. I get around this by re-encoding the .pfm files using a utility called Cross Font.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back