Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF with highlighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diane Sandstrom

Technical User
Oct 13, 2023
US
Hello,

Let's say I have 2 or more highlighted PDFs, each user highlighting in their own PDF with an assigned color. I now would like to compare the highlighting in the PDFs. I would like to solve the issue of the comparison showing multiple colors in the PDF on the same string of text showing up in brown so that I cannot decipher which users are highlighting on that text when multiple users highlight the same string. In this case the multiple user highlighted text cannot be found in layers because the PDF was flattened.

Any thoughts on this? Thank you in advance. Happy Friday.

-DS

Hi,

1. You "have 2 or more highlighted PDFs."
2. "each user highlighting in their own PDF with an assigned color."
3. You "compare the highlighting in the PDFs."
4. You "would like to solve the issue of the comparison showing multiple colors in the PDF on the same string of text showing up in brown."

All of the sudden you went from 2 or more PDFs to, what is implied, one PDF.

What happened to the users' PDFs?

I'm not familiar with layers in PDF documents so I'm not sure whether that would help or not. If it were me, I'd programmatically analyze the text of each user's PFD to produce a common table for comparison. This could give you the information of what strings had multiple highlighting and by who, so that in those instances, perhaps a footnote could suffice.

Such a table might contain
1) the UserID
2) the beginning character position of a highlight
3) the ending character position of a highlight

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

I will try Skip. Thank you. Of course whenever this sort of stuff comes up. It's an ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back