Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF Preview error in Windows Explorer 32-BIT Windows7

Status
Not open for further replies.

arodri

Technical User
Jul 9, 2010
US
Hello,

I have a user that's using a 32-bit version of windows 7 (I am aware of the bug with pdf previews on 64-bit versions, but this is a different case) and in the preview pane of windows explorer, there is no preview coming up. It says "This file can't be previewed because of an error in the PDF Preview Handler for Vista’."
It's a strange message since she doesn't have vista at all. This computer was bought as a Windows 7 32-bit.

The computer used to have Adobe Acrobat9 AND Adobe Reader installed on it, but reader would default to open all pdf's, so we uninstalled reader and just left Acrobat9.

Any ideas on how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance!

Try uninstalling Acrobat 9, reboot, and then reinstall it. It may turn out better when the install doesn't find Reader on the system already. Let us know how it goes!

Fred Wagner

Hello!

I don't know why I didn't think of that before lol..it's so simple! I uninstalled everything that was Adobe on her computer (Acrobat, Flash Player, etc), rebooted, and re-installed everything back on. Worked perfectly! The previews are now working fine..Thank you!!

Glad it worked! I've run into the issue before. Somewhere in the documentation or Readme files it does mention that it's advisable to uninstall Reader, but it doesn't jump out at you, and I don't remember it being mentioned during the install process.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back