Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF or Postscript Assembler

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparks8

Programmer
Jun 21, 1999
US
I require something which will assemble either Postscript or PDF files in a user specified order and export the assembly into one PDF file.

I recently required something similar. And although I found a work around to my problem.&nbsp;&nbsp;I believe one of the components to the solution to my diffent problem is directly applicable to solving your problem.<br><br>Specifically, go out on the net and get (download and install) a freeware program called GhostScript. Then, assuming a Windows 95/98 workstation, install a driver for a Postscript capable printer - such as the HP DJ 1200 - but don't &quot;connect&quot; it to LPT1:.&nbsp;&nbsp;Instead &quot;connect&quot; it to FILE: and then configure this printer driver to output .ps not .eps.<br><br>Then, each time you print to this device, you will be prompted for a file to save the PostScript output in.<br><br>I maintain a set of public service group documents in Word and provide them to the volunteer members via a web site as PDF files (readable on Win/Mac/Linux/etc.). To make what are straightforward PDF files (no forms or tables of contents), I print them to the HP1200 and save the multi-page out to one xxxxx.ps file.<br><br>Then, now here comes the the first good part, I read the xxxxx.ps (or whatever.ps) into GhostScript and print from GhostView into a PDF file.<br><br>Now the second good part, with GS I have also, for a one time job, assembled multiple xxxxzzzz.ps (seperate page) files and printed them to one multi-page PDF file.<br><br>You could start looking for the current verion of GhostScript at the following url:<br><br>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> this helps.<br><br>Peter Vince VA3PKV<br><A HREF="mailto:peterkv@vaxxine.com">peterkv@vaxxine.com</A>

Hi Peter
I was reading your reply to this post and I think I am trying to do similar thing in that I am generating Postscript files from Crystal Reports 8.0. However I am trying to bypass the step of being prompted for a filename (Automate the process).
I have Adobe Distiller installed on my PC and I would appreciate any help in regards to this

TIA
anu

There is a postcript file on the Acrobat CD... in the Distiller Extras folder... psfilex.ps I think... that assembles a series of .ps files into a single pdf.

It works fine but beware it rotates the output... this is ok so long as you don't have certain kinds of pdfmark .eps files in the original

:Then, each time you print to this device, you will be prompted for a file to save the PostScript output in.&quot;

Is there a registry entry for setting a default filename for this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back