Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDF File Flattens When Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mekohler

Technical User
May 4, 2007
CA
Hi, I've been sent a pdf file that's 2.038KB. When I try to print, I get the message that the file is flattening and then it hangs and doesn't print. I tried running the pdf optimizer under advanced options, and when I access the layer viewer, there are no layers. I have also tried reducing the document size. Nothing seems to help.
Thanks,
Michaael Kohler

A few questions to help us help you....
Can you View the file before you try to print it ?
How were you 'sent' the file - as an email attachment, on a CD or DVD, or on a Thumb Drive ?
What version of Acrobat or Acrobat Reader are you using? What Desktop OS (Xp, Vista, Win7)?
Have you tried saving the file to a local folder, and opening it and printing from there? What kind of printer? is it local to your PC, networked, or local WiFi ?

Fred Wagner

Hi, thanks for the response. It was sent as an emai attachment. I'm using Acrobat 8 professional on XP Professional. I save it to a local folder, open an print it from there. The printer is a Xerox 9203, which is a network printer.
Michael

When you have the file open in Acrobat 8 Pro, what size is it? Letter or legal, or is it a large format map or engineering drawing? Does your printer normally print this type of document?
is it all one page, or several pages ?

Fred Wagner

It's an engineering drawing, I'm setting the size to 81/2x11. I usally have no problems printing this type of document. It's 3 pages in length, but I tried extracting each page to seperate file.
Michael

Michael - Check to see if your printer options can be set to print the document as several sheets which can be pasted together after printing - really look through your options.
In my Acrobat 8 Professional, on the Print Menu, the options are in the Page Scaling drop-down - choices that would be useful to you include "Fit to Printable Area", and "Tile Large Pages"
One or the other of these should work.

Fred Wagner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back