Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pdf document cd and autodetect

Status
Not open for further replies.

svu

Programmer
Apr 10, 2000
TH
Dear Friends,

I need to prepare CD's for distributing PDF Manuals. Also, i need to write a program which will autorun when the CD is inserted. The program will detect the presence of Adobe Acrobat Reader and if it exists the version. Then if needed the program will install the latest Acrobat Reader version from the CD and open the manual.
I'm very new with all this stuff. Kindly extend your generous guidance.

Note : All these things need to be compatible with major operating systems like PC, MAC, Linux

regards,
svu

dear friend there can be number of options-

One I know is

1) Use vb / VC with APIs to check for registry values

for windows u have to look for os version u get only build and other version numbers from that determine the os version
now once u know the os

One thing u should have msvbvm60.dll should be on that m/c for vb 6.0 this can be checked by a c program and if it is not there u can copy it and register it from a simple c program now ur vb program can handle the os detectings similarly look for openregkey api and look for acrobat reader version - it's in subkey. u won't get version but you have to check for true or false for regDoes_Key_Exist api.
now you go for remaning work

regrds
Manoj Patil
Manojp_a@yahoo.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back