Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDC with 2 NICs a problem ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riwa

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2003
NL
Hi,

Our NT4 PDC server has 2 networkadapters because we have a separate lan for our backup.
Can this cause any problems because I thought I heard or read somewhere that this can cause a problem.

Anyone got any info about this ?

Thanks,

Richard

I remember having problems with WINS on a setup like this.
But it has been a few years and I don't remember the details.

There is an issue with PDCs that are multihomed (more than one NIC) since it could cause browsing and name resolution problems for your clients. There are various technotes on the MS Technet website regarding these issues.
If you really need to have the separate NIC, you may want to un-bind WINS and File/Print sharing from that NIC.

I have a BDC that is multihomed. It has two different brand of ethernet card, with two ip numbers. It authenticates users as well as share printers and files. It also replicates login scripts.

There is one problem. It sees itself and report "duplicate name" error in the event log. No big deal, everything runs smoothly. To get rid of this issue, like itsp1965 says, you have to unbind WINS on the first nic on both Server and Workstation. (located in BINDINGS in the network properties).

We had one until recently with two NICS. It didn't like being restarted with both plugged in - we just unplugged one until it had rebooted and logged in. Worked fine then.

**One day, I will find a question that no one else has answered........and will also know the answer to it ! **

I reinstalled the second nic and disabled wins and netbios, only tcp/ip was binded to this adapter.

This looks like it's working. Have to wait and see if it keeps working after a reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back