Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDC will not respond

Status
Not open for further replies.

cenn

IS-IT--Management
Jan 24, 2002
US
Occasionaly users will get a message saying that a domain controler could not be found or would not answer. When we reboot our BDC everyone can log in fine. I can not seem to figure out why our PDC does not respond when the BDC hangs?

If you power-off the BDC does the PDC respond to logins...????

Are u getting any messages in the BDC event logs when it "hangs"....???

Actually we are in the process of testing the power off. The BDC is taking care of DHCP. Once we clear that off and move that service to another system we are going to down the BDC and test. I have been told that before I arrived, the BDC went down and no one could log in.

As far as logging - this is my greates irritation. There are no errors in the logs. We have a theory that our backups (Varitas) are grabing something and not letting go but we are grasping as straws...

It might not be the BDC...???!!! If its just one "group" of users then it could be some sort of underlying network fault...??? How often does the fault occur...??? Do the failing PCs always manage to get a DHCP address...???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back