Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDC replacement !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackcipk

MIS
Jun 17, 2002
US
We have a small network with approx 25 users. The PDC is also our mail server, with NT4.0 sp6, Exchange 5.5 sp4 and some small applications on it. The PDC is dying. I need to purchase and set up a new server to replace the PDC before it dies.

Have anybody done this before? Any good links? It's not about whether you can do it or not, it's about HOW
OK, Let's Do It !!! [pipe]
jliu@Cipk.com

In what way is it "dying"?
Have you got a BDC on the network?
Do you take tape backups of this server? [auto] MCSE NT4/W2K

You will need to build a BDC if you dont have one, install Exchange 5.5 SP4 into the same org/site, and install all your small apps. Once you do this you can easily move 25 mailboxes to the new server through Exchange admin. Promote to PDC.

As dhawthorn asked do you backup this server?

Hello, Everyone:

We purchased this server about 4 yrs ago (DELL PowerEdge 2400) with 550 MHz processor and RAID 5 Hard Drive configuration. Now, the hard drive is dying. I could spend a few hundred bucks to replace one/two of the hard drives easy and still use the server, but I convienced my boss to spend 2g to upgrade to a better server (DELL PowerEdge 2600, with 1,8GHz processor).

We do not have BDC in the network, only have 3 other stand along servers for web, database and programming. We do backup the server with tape (ARCserveIT) on daily basis, but not sure the e-mail database can be fully restored at brick level.

I think you guys are right that I need to have the new server on line as a BDC first, then promote it to PDC. It concerns me on mail server issues. How can I restore mail database under different SIDs. Shall I make the machine name, IP, etc., be identical with the current one?

It's my first time to replace PDC w/exchange. Any tips are welcome!

Jack

It's not about whether you can do it or not, it's about HOW
OK, Let's Do It !!! [pipe]
jliu@Cipk.com

There are a lot of steps with rebuilding an Exchange server with the same Name. Its easier if the server is still up and running, then you can do as i stated above. All you need to do is install Exchange on your new server adding it to the same site as your existing Exchange server then move all your mailboxes over to the new server along with, connectors, folders, etc.. I have done this both ways and moving everything is a lot easier (less steps) than rebuilding the same server. Here is a link to a discussion on this very issue: thread10-385875

Might I also suggest repairing the old PDC and having it run as a BDC. Always nice to have a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back