Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PDC File Server lack of performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwong

Programmer
Apr 16, 2002
CR
Hi Guys,

I run a call center of about 65 stations with a client server aplication. The pdc is a 1 Ghz PIII Xeon with 512mb of memory running W2K server sp4, we also use this server as a file server, dns and dhcp, the database, the client server application and the web run on different servers.

I use to have all the executables centralized on the PDC, an every station got a link to this file and execute the aplication remotely. Everything was working fine but all of a sudden, all the stations began to freeze up at the same time.
We debugged the application, checked the network, the database server, and a day ago we decided to move the executbles locally, and the problem never ocurred anymore.
The program is really small and only take a few seconds to come up when you execute it from the stations.

I am puzzled!... Is there a limit for an executable file to be accessed through the network on a W2k server? If I click on this file and execute it remotely, does the program runs locally on the memory of my station or it keeps reading from the file server? Why the freezing?

thanks in advance,

Rick

Hi there,

I forgot to mention that all my switches are 100 mbps.
Could the problem be solved if I upgrade to 1 gbps switches,

thanks,

Rick

Anything in the event log on the PDC? How large is the executable? I'd also suspect a failing switch or possibly the network card on the PDC. If it's a switch, you shouldn't be colliding, but you can check for errors if it's a managed switch.
Lots of possibilities here, but since everyone freezes, it should be fairly straightforward to find.

pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back